MATTHEW INTO MARK
I was busy yesterday playing in a Pastor's Golf Tournament and had to leave the house at 6:00am to get there. It was a long but enjoyable day. Then I got a summer cold and it has choked me up and I've blown my nose until it is about to drop off. Well, I don't get sick often, but when I do, it drags me down. I'm hoping to feel better tomorrow. I'm finishing up Matthew and going into Mark. Here are some thoughts:
1) WHAT THE LORD NEEDS- Matt. 21:3 "The Lord hath need of them". The Disciples were instructed of Jesus to go to a certain village and they would find a donkey and a colt with her. They were to untie the mule and bring it to Jesus. If the owner just happened to see what was going on and ask, what are you doing with my mule? They were to respond: "The Lord hath need of them." I was thinking.... would we let our "stuff" go because Jesus needed them? How about our money for missions? How about our tithes and offerings? How about our time? How about our talents? The Lord hath need of them!!
2) HOUSE OF PRAYER-Matt. 21:13 "My house shall be called the house of prayer" The Church should be a house of prayer, and in verse 22 it says: "And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive." With this great promise, it would seem we would pray more, but alas so little prayer is going on these days. Let us change that... today!!
3) HE IS RISEN- Matt. 28:6 "He is not here for he is risen" Praise God we serve a risen Savior! This is what our faith is based upon, a risen Savior. Jesus Christ is His own authentication!! He arose!
4) IN A HURRY!! In reading Mark, you will find words like "straightway", "immediately", "straitly", and "suddenly". In fact in the early chapters, you will find these words 35 times!! How did Jesus get so much done on earth in three and a half years? He kept busy!! He was always on the go, always going from one place to another, never having time to rest, but literally working the work of His Father, while He still could. We too need to get as much done for Christ as we can. We need rest, and relaxation, but we also need work! We will "work till Jesus comes"!
5) NOT THE TALK, BUT THE WALK! Mark 7:6 "This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me." These were the Pharisees. They talked a good game, but they could not match up their words with their lives. We too can be guilty of this. We can talk about prayer but not pray. We can talk about sharing the Gospel without going. We can talk about loving God without singing and praising. Let us decide not just to talk a good talk, but by God's grace... walk a good walk.
So much for today! Blessings on you and yours!
Pastor Mike Mutchler