PSALMS SOME MORE
It is a Saturday morning, and I will be going to a men's meeting soon. Here are a few truths from the Psalms.
1) TEMPTATION TO ESCAPE-- I know all of us at time think we would love to just escape all of the problems of life. We would like to skip out on the trials we face and the challenges that constantly confront us. David felt the same way. In Ps. 55:6, he said: "And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest." It sounds good, but in reality, to avoid all of our responsibilities would turn out to be a curse instead of a blessing.
2) FAITH- We all need more of it, and David often felt the same way. We are people of such little faith even when we know God will not let us down, we still doubt! David said in Ps. 56:3- "What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee." We all get fearful at times, but when we do is when faith needs to be bold and confidently say: "I will trust in thee."
3) GROWTH- Growth is a part of life, and it needs to be a constant in the Christian Life. We must grow or stagnate. To stand still is to fall backwards. Onward, Forward, Shout Aloud Hosana, Christ is Captain of the Mighty Throng! Psalms 62:2 says: "He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be greatly moved." This is great to understand and believe that in Christ we will not be greatly moved. But Growth is still needed and David expressed this as well. David DID grow in faith and confidence in God. Notice in verse 6 of the same chapter: "He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved." His faith grew!! In verse 2 he said he would not be "greatly moved", and in verse 6, he said "I shall not be moved". The difference between "greatly moved" and "not be moved" is huge!! Growth is what we need in our walk with Christ today.
4) TESTIMONY- Do you have one? Why would we be shy to give a testimony when asked for one? Ps. 66:16 says: "Come and hear, all ye that fear God, and I will declare what he hath done for my soul." David wanted to share his testimony. That which God has done for Him. Isn't God working in our lives? Of course He is, and we should let others know about this.
5) OLD AGE- We all grow old. Not bad considering the alternative... dying young. But life is not just about growing old, it is about what you transfer to the next generation while you are growing old. Psalms 71:18 says: "Now also when I am old and grayheaded, O God, forsake me not; until I have shown thy strength unto this generation, and thy power to every one that is to come." Wow!! We have a responsibility to share with the next generation the wonderful works of God. Dear God, give us strength and wisdom to do so!!
Well, that's all for today. Hope to see you tomorrow and may God richly bless!!
Tomorrow is Sunday!! Dr. Mike Mutchler