Several Short Epistles
I read this morning, I & II Peter, I, II, & III John, Jude. I have my coffee with me and I'm looking forward to another cup. Each one of these short epistles are full of blessings and truths. Here are a few truths:
1) ABUNDANT MERCY-In I Peter 1:3, it refers to Christ's "abundant mercy". Praise God for His mercy!! I'm so thankful Christ loves us and extends that abundant mercy our way.
2) FOCUSED ON THE WORD- Peter focuses on the Word. In I Peter 1:25, it says: "But the word of the LORD endureth for ever." This is a great truth. Preservation of Scripture is a doctrine that lets us know that Inspiration of Scripture is meaningful! Without the one, the other doesn't mean much.
3) CAST THOSE BURDENS ON HIM- In Peter 5:7, we are told: "Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you." There is no other source to go to for comfort like Jesus. He can bear the weight of our heavy problems! Don't bear your problems alone, yield those problems to the Savior; in fact, cast them to Him!!
4) KEEP ADDING- II Peter 1 tells us to add to our faith: virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, godliness, brotherly kindness, and charity. We are to always be growing as Christians and adding to our faith these wonderful godly attributes. Our live is to reflect the life of Christ and that will not happen without these needed ingredients. Let's ever work to ADD to our faith these precious elements!!
5) A MORE SURE WORD- The last half of II Peter chapter one, tells us about "a more sure word". This is talking about the written scripture. Peter says he heard God's voice at Jesus' baptism, and he saw Jesus Christ in person, and yet the written word is "a more sure word" because: "holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost." This is great!!
6) YOU CAN KNOW! - I John is a blessing! So many wonderful verses I couldn't begin to do it justice, but here is one: I John 5:13: "These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may KNOW that ye have eternal life". What a promise!! We KNOW we have eternal life because we have trusted Christ as our Savior!
7) TRUTH & LOVE- II John is only 13 verses long, but it deals with Truth and Love. Truth is mentioned five times and Love is mentioned three times. We are to walk in the truth and to love one another.
8) TRUTH- III John uses "truth" and "true" seven times! It also points out a trouble maker in the church, Diotrephes, "who loveth to have the preeminence". We are servants of Christ and each other and our goal should never be to lord over others, but to serve them. Before John finished this short book of 14 verses, he does point out Demetrius who "hath good report of all men". Thank God for godly men and women who are a blessing to their pastor and the cause of Christ. Being a pastor is a hard calling, and what a blessing when godly men and women work together with their pastor for the cause of Christ!!
9) HAVE COMPASSION- I'll end with Jude, all of 25 verses. One verse to focus on would be verse 22: "some have compassion, making a difference:" It always works . Compassion!! Loving God and loving Others is what it's all about. Well, I need another cup of coffee, and I'll see you tomorrow!! Have a blessed day! Pastor Mike Mutchler