|I am reading in Matthew today and there are so many things to share that it is hard to pick out just a few, but here is my best effort:|
1) FIVE WOMEN THAT CHANGED THE WORLD- These women are mentioned in the genealogy of Jesus Christ. Here they are: Thamar, Rachab, Ruth, Wife of Urias (Bathsheba), and Mary the mother of Jesus. Mary was a godly young virgin, Rachab was the harlot of Jericho. Somewhere between the best woman and the worst, fits most women. The genealogy of Christ contains both and those inbetween. I think God is trying to tell us something!
2) IT IS WRITTEN- Jesus answered the Devil with "it is written". He used the Bible to give an answer and so we too are taught to do. Notice that in chapter four where the temptation of Jesus takes place, verses 4, 7, and 10 is where Jesus says: "it is written". But in verse 6, we see that Satan said: "it is written" too. He took the scriptures out of context. So, we too must learn that it is not just what a phrase of scripture says, but what does it say and mean in the context of what is written? This is so important!
3) THE SECRET IS THE SECRET- In Matthew chapter six, we see Jesus talking about alms, prayer, and fasting. In each case Jesus says that if we do these things to be "seen of men" then that is our reward. But, in each case he says that if we do these things in secret, "and they Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly." The secret of the Christian Life is what we do in secret... our giving... our prayer life.... our scripture reading.... our fasting... our good deeds.... etc. Keep doing in secret... and God will reward us "openly". The secret is what is done in secret!!!
4) IT IS JUST A LITTLE, BUT IT IS A BIG DEAL- Matt. 16:6 says: "Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees." Now leaven is yeast that causes the flour to rise when activated. This leaven is like false doctrine in the church. The Bible tells us that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump! False doctrine will corrupt a church and it only takes a little. Therefore God gives a Pastor the watchcare of the Church to see that only pure doctrine is taught and preached.
5) FAITH TO SAY-In Matthew 17:20-21 "And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. 21 Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting." This passage is telling us that IF we have faith.... "ye shall say". The Bible tells us that in James that "we have not because we ask not". So the simple truth is that so often we do not even have the faith to ask. Go ahead.... have the faith to say! ASK God and believe.
Well, I hope you have a blessed day. Writing on the West Coast means that I'm not through with my blog sometimes till it is mid morning or almost lunch time on the east coast. I hope that the blog will be a blessing. Just simple thoughts I have as I read each day, and hopefully God will give you many such truths as well. Blessings upon you! Pastor Mike Mutchler