THOUGHTS FROM JEREMIAH
It's a beautiful Sunday morning, and I just finished my first cup of coffee and I'm through reading my chapters. Jeremiah is a prophet that warns the people about the coming judgment of God. He tells them to go willingly into captivity and all will be well with them, but if they resist, it will turn out badly for them. He was right because he was speaking for God. I read from about chapter 8 to 28. Let me point out a few verses and my thoughts on them:
1) PRIDE- Jer. 13:9, God says: "I will mar the pride of Judah, and the great pride of Jerusalem." Remember that pride goeth before destruction, and this is what led this nation into there destruction. Pride!
2) A FRUITFUL TREE- Jer. 17:7,8 tell us that the righteous will be like a tree planted by the waters that will never cease from yielding fruit. It sounds a lot like Psalms 1:3, and this is found a few places in the Bible. Four in all I believe. If we obey God, we shall be established like this tree that is by the water that bears fruit constantly.
3) MADE AGAIN- Jer. 18:4 we see that the vessel was marred in the hands of the potter, so he made it again! God sees so often that we are marred and not able to be all that we should have been, but instead of discarding us and our future usefulness, He makes us again!! This is such a great truth the even if we get wiped out in life, God can make us again. (emotionally, financially, testimony, character, relationships, etc.) God can make us again!!
4) WICKED PASTORS- Jer. 23:1 says: "Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture! saith the LORD." It is a great joy to be a pastor, but we must be a pastor pleasing to the Lord, who speaks His Word, not ours! These wicked pastors were telling the nation that all would be well and they would not go into captivity. That is like pastors today that would tell people some sins are OK and that God has changed His mind about them. That is evil!! We must stand for God or we destroy those who listen to us.
5) FIRE AND HAMMER- Jer. 23:29 God's Word is like a FIRE and like a Hammer! It burns and it breaks all who resist it. It is powerful! The Bible says it is quick and powerful and sharper than any two edged sword. Wow!
6) SPARE JEREMIAH- In Jer. 26:8 everyone wanted to put Jeremiah to death because of the judgment he shared that came from God. (Kill the messenger.) In says in verse 8, "Thou shalt surely die.".....But, in verse 16, they realized they were wrong and said: "This man is not worthy to die: for he hath spoken to us in the name of the LORD our God." Sometimes people stand up for you that don't really care for you, but they know that you serve the LORD and are simply obeying Him. I've seen that before and it is a blessing.
Well, it's Sunday!! Have a great time at Church. I'm looking forward to a great day. It's a beautiful day outside and we are looking forward to God's blessings!!
Pastor Mike Mutchler