|Yesterday, I read in Numbers, but I ran out of time to type my blog. Once I leave the house, I am busy and don't have time to type. My reading and typing, and sermon studying, I do at home. I administrate at church. I meet with staff and other people to give instruction, counsel, and comfort. I enjoyed preaching to the students of Grand View Christian Academy yesterday. About 120 students make up our school this year, and that is our highest enrollment. They are great students and a joy to preach to. Last night, I sure enjoyed preaching to my people. What a blessing they are! I'm in Deuteronomy today, and here are a few thoughts: |
1) GOD GIVES THE POWER FOR A REASON- Deut. 8:17,18 says: "And thou say in thine heart, My power and the might of mine hand hath gotten me this wealth. (18) But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day." God gives the power to get wealth to promote HIS agenda, not ours! It is not for us to have bigger houses and nicer cars, etc. It is for His Kingdom and glory!
2) NOT THY RIGHTEOUSNESS, BUT THEIR WICKEDNESS- In Deut. chapter 9, God says over and over that it was not the righteousness of Israel that allowed Him to give them the land of Canaan, but it was because of the wickedness of the people of the land.
vs. 4 ".. but for the wickedness of these nations the LORD doth drive them out from before thee." vs. 6 "Understand therefore, that the LORD thy God giveth thee not this good land to possess it for thy righteousness; for thou art a stiffnecked people." We are much like Israel at times and need to realize that at our best, we are not that good, but rather bad without the influence of Salvation and the Holy Spirit, and Church. We need to rejoice in God's Grace as we strive to live obedient lives for Christ Jesus.
3) WHAT DOETH THE LORD THY GOD REQUIRE OF THEE? Deuteronomy 10:12 & 13 give that answer:
a. "But to fear the LORD thy God,"
b. "to walk in all his ways,"
c. "to love him,"
d. "to serve the LORD thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul."
e. "To keep the commandments of the LORD"
f. "and his statutes"
*These are the things that the LORD thy God requires of us. Let us be found doing them.
4) DESCRIBING GOD- I love verses like Deuteronomy 10:17 that describe God to us in different terms all in one verse. Notice: "For the LORD thy God is God of gods, and LORD of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward:" God is so great and wonderful, that our whole vocabulary could not adequately describe His greatness! Praise the LORD!!
5) OPEN THY HAND WIDE- Deuteronomy 15:11 says: "For the poor shall never cease out of the land: therefore I command thee, saying, Thou shalt open thine hand wide unto thy brother, to thy poor, and to thy needy, in thy land." God says to open our hands wide unto the poor. Now, that sounds easy enough... if we live in America, but imagine if you will living in Africa, or the Philippines, or India, where there are masses of poor. We might as well say: Give a crumb to the birds. Give one bottle of water to the thirsty people. Give a hundred dollars so the ten thousand poor (in a few blocks of you) can eat a few grains of rice. What I'm saying is the need is so great that we harden our hearts to their plight. Our hands are not so full to meet the need so we close our hands altogether. Well, that is not God's plan for us. Let me suggest this: Our giving is not to meet their need. (the poor shall never cease out of the land) no matter what we give, it will never be enough! So, that brings me to the realization that our giving is for us. It changes us! It softens our heart! It keeps us tender to people and their plight! We give so that we don't become hardened and close our hearts to a lost and dying and hurting world! Open thy hands wide...
(Psa 81:10) " I am the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt: open thy mouth wide, and I will fill it." While we open our hands wide to the poor.... God can put more into our hands from which to give out of. It is for us!
Well, I sure enjoyed that thought! Hope you have a blessed day dear friend. God bless all of my friends. God bless my dear mother and missionary Charlie Vest! Blessing on you!
Pastor Mike Mutchler