It is a beautiful Sunday morning. I am excited about going to Church this morning. God's people are the church (called out assembly), but it is only as we gather together that we become a local New Testament church. (assembly) We are the church, but only have church when we gather together. Christ likes this because God's Word goes on to say: "Not forsaking the assembly of yourselves together..." God like us to "have" church when we assemble together. Otherwise we are the church scattered in the world not assembling to fulfill God's purposes. Hope you get to have church today!
I'm reading in Genesis, and trying something different. Since I am getting so many thoughts from the reading through in a new Bible, I am trying to find thoughts from the first chapter of the day in reading, and here are the thoughts that come from Genesis 41:
1) TWO FULL YEARS- vs. 1 - Joseph was in prison two full years after sharing the dream's interpretation with the baker and butler. God's timing is not our timing, and if we will patiently wait on the LORD, then God will show it was well worth it. He did in Joseph's life.
2) DREAMS- I like the preach about my vision (goals). In verse 11 it says: "We dreamed a dream" and in verse 15, it says: "I have dreamed a dream". I love these verses and use them to share my dreams (goals) with my people.
3) INSIGHT- vs. 25 - God gives special insight to leaders. We can see that throughout the Bible. Here Joseph says to Pharaoh: "God has shewed Pharaoh what he is about to do." God gave insight to Pharaoh to save a race of people.... the Hebrews!
4) IT TAKES BOTH- vs. 33, 39 - In leadership, it takes many different qualities, but two such ingredients are mentioned here that are most important. Joseph after revealing the dream, gave Pharaoh this advice: "look out a man discreet and wise, and set him over the land of Egypt." Notice he did not just say "wise". Solomon was wise, but not "discreet". Joseph said "discreet" and "wise". Wisdom for the task ahead, and discreet because of the nature of the task. It had to be done discreet or the people would have hoarded their own grain and selfishness would have set in. Joseph was both. Discreet leaders accept the blame, but spread the praise to others. Let us be both!
5) FOR GOD... vs. 51,52 - Joseph is married and has two sons: Manasseh and Ephraim. He names them, but notice that even in naming them, Joseph's mind is upon God. Notice:
"Manasseh: For God, said he, hath made me forget all my toil, and all my father's house." "Ephraim: For God hath caused me to be fruitful in the land of my affliction." His mind was upon God and even in the naming of his sons. Oh that out minds would be upon God today!
6) ALL COUNTRIES- vs. 57- "All countries came into Egypt to Joseph for to buy corn; because that the famine was so sore in all lands." God used Joseph, not only to save Egypt, not only to save his people (Jacob and clan), but the known world! Joseph saved more lives than anyone else in history! Maybe those 13 years of slavery and prison were worth it.
Well, so much for one chapter... you have a blessed day today dear friend. Pastor Mike Mutchler