I & II THESSALONIANS & I & II TIMOTHY
I am home in Oregon! I enjoyed my time teaching at Hyles Anderson College for their summer school on Starting a New Testament Church. They were very kind to me and gracious in hosting me, and I hope that I was a blessing to the young men I spoke to that took the class. The honor was all mine, and I am grateful. Today as I read, it was a special joy to look at what Paul was used of God to write. What a blessing. I noticed that almost every verse has something underlined in most all I read this morning. Wow! To much good truth to write about, but here goes:
1) TO DESPISE OTHER CHRISTIANS IS TO DESPISE GOD- I Thess. 4:6 says: "That no man go beyond and defraud his brother in any matter: because that the LORD is the avenger of all such, as we also have forewarned you and testified." This is saying not to deal unjustly with Christians, and verse 8 says: "He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not man, but God, who hath also given unto us his holy Spirit." If we despise other Christians, then we are in essence despising God who dwells within them. Be kind to others!!
2) DON'T TROUBLE A CHRISTIAN!! We read what I Thess. 4:6 & 8 said, but here is what II Thess. 1:6 says: "Seeing it is a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them that trouble you;" (vs.8)-"In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:" (9) "Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord,..." WOW!! Leave the Christians alone ye sinners!! God judges them!!
3) WHAT DOES GOD WANT?? I Tim. 2:4 "Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth." This is God's desire, this is what God wants!! Now, we have a small but important part in that.... we carry the message... no one can be saved without us carrying the message. Let's do our part so that God can see His desire fulfilled.
4) FEAR NOT!! II Tim. 1:7 says: "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." We should not fear, but trust God. Pray but don't fear. Fear is acting like God is not in control. He knows what is best, so don't fear any outcome! He has not promised to pave our path with ease, but He has promised to walk with us on our journey. Financial reversals, failing health, busted relationships, broken hearts, times of deep discouragement.... we go through these valleys, but God holds our right hand saying: "Fear not; I will help thee." Isa. 41:13 Then I realize that Paul is speaking to a preacher. We preachers are not to be filled with fear!
5) PAUL NAMED SOME TROUBLE MAKERS- In II Tim. 3 and 4, Paul names some people who caused trouble in the work of God. (3:8) Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses; (4:10) Demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world; (4:14) Alexander the coppersmith did me much evil: the LORD reward him according to his works:" We don't get this much from Paul, but here we do see that he names those who caused the trouble. In Chapter four, he also names those who served God properly along side of him: "Prisca and Aquila, household of Onesiphorus, Erastus, Trophimus, Eubulus, Pudens, Linus, Claudia, and all the brethren. Don't dwell on the trouble makers, dwell on the dear, faithful co-workers!!
Hope you have a blessed day! We have a church wide picnic today and it will be a blessing, I'm sure. Pastor Mike Mutchler