|The book of Numbers is a book of repetition and yet tremendous truth. Some chapters will continue to repeat little details and then some will give great insights into the working of God with man. Don't dismiss it's importance. It is called "Numbers", because it numbers! It starts off in Chapter one numbering the men of Israel. It comes to 603,550 men over twenty an upward to those who could go to war. (so we do not know the cut off date) We do know that the Levites were not included in this count. Here they are counted BEFORE they refuse to go into the Promised Land, and in Deuteronomy, they are counted again AFTER a whole generation has died off in the wilderness. NONE of these 603,550 men plus the Levite men, will enter the promised land except two... Joshua and Caleb! HEY... have you been counted for Christ? Here are a few more thoughts:|
1) 30-50 The priest served from 30 years old to 50 years old. This is what chapter four of Numbers tells us.
2) NAZARITE VOW- If you are interested in this vow, then chapter six is what you should read. Here is the low down: a. It was for a short duration of time; b. It involved abstaining from three things: (any form of a grape solid or liquid; touching anything dead; cutting your hair during the vow); c. If you did break the vow, a sacrifice was required, you went back on the vow, but the days before the violation were lost. This is the break down.
3) BLESSINGS- Num. 6:24-26 "The LORD bless thee, and keep thee; The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace." God told Moses to tell Aaron and his boys to tell this to the children of Israel. What a blessing!
4) FIRSTBORN- Numbers 8:17,18- "For all the firstborn of the children of Israel are mine, both man and beast: on the day that I smote every firstborn in the land of Egypt I sanctified them for myself. And I have taken the Levites for all the firstborn of the children of Israel." When God sent his death angel over Egypt we forget that ALL the first born were killed (man and beast) except where the blood was applied above the door post and it's sides. Now God says because of this, the First born of Israel's men and beast belong to Him. (He spared them!!) So, the firstborn of the beast were sacrificed, and the firstborn of men were given to sacrificial service to the LORD. Now, instead of having every first born of men chosen by God, he chose a tribe... the Levites to the the group of firstborn ones! It came out to one in every ten living men! Shouldn't we expect that one in every ten men Christians should desire to serve God full time? Just a thought!!
5) WELL ABLE--NOT ABLE- In Numbers 13:30, Joshua and Caleb said "we are well able to overcome it." in verse 31, the other ten men said: "We be not able to go up against the people; for they are stronger than we." Now both were right!! But one was looking to God for strength, not themselves. To WHOM are you looking today?? Why not look to God for strength so that you can be "Well Able" to handle the problems of life?
6) WHERE IS YOUR PROMISED LAND?- In Numbers 16:13, the griping Israelites said: "thou hast brought us up out of a land that floweth with milk and honey". They are talking of Egypt. God said that Canaan "flowed with milk and honey". Which promised land are you looking for? This world has milk and honey, but servitude and bondage, just like Egypt! But Heaven, has milk and honey with freedom and perfect peace. Which Promised land are you looking for? Let us keep our heads and hearts focused on God's Promised Land.
Well, so much for today! Hope you have a blessed day. To my dear Mother, I say: "I love you Mom! You are the greatest Mom in the World!" To my friend Charlie Vest in Philippines: "You are doing a great work Charlie, and we are hoping to help you more and more reach people for Christ." See everyone tomorrow! Dr. Mike Mutchler, Pastor & Friend