Today is Tuesday. We celebrated our countries birthday yesterday and it was a delightful time. I went to the gym this morning to do something that I have contemplated for two years…. I worked out. Now I just have to figure out my schedule and how I fit everything into a morning. The mornings are always my most productive time of the day. I am in Ecclesiastes today, and here are a few thoughts:
1) VANITIES OF VANITIES- Eccl. 1:2- Five times in this two line verse, the word "vanity" is used. Solomon had experienced everything, and yet it all turned out to be "vanity". Only God gives joy and purpose, not work, not wisdom, not wealth, not women, not anything!! Here was the wisest of men finding out that everything outside of living for God was vanity. Let us take heed to his wisdom and not make the same mistakes he did.
2) GRIEF AND SORROW In Eccl. 1:18, much wisdom brings grief and sorrow. Solomon found that out. As Americans, we place a high premium on education, and rightly so, but education without purpose of life leads one to great sorrow as Solomon found out. Once we have a relationship with Christ, and have purpose in our lives, then we can work on learning all we can learn. But only in those confines will knowledge enrich one's life.
3) A TIME FOR EVERYTHING Eccl. 3:1 says there is a time for everything under heaven and then goes on to list the different times there are purposes for. Timing, that is a great secret to joy and success in life. Knowing when and where to act and when and where not to do so. Wisdom and discretion is greatly needed.
4) TIME AND CHANCE (This or That)-- Eccl. 9:11 tells us that time and chance has as much to do with circumstances than being swift, strong, wise, understanding, skill, riches, etc.. and Eccl. 11:6 tells us that we don't know what is blessed and prosper, perhaps "this of that". Since we don't know what will work out, or what will not work out, just give everyday your best shot. Do all you can for Christ and God will sort it all out for your good and His glory!
5) A LITTLE FOLLY Eccl. 10:1 - Like a dead fly in medicine, so is "a little folly him that is in reputation for wisdom and honour." Solomon was the wisest man ever! Why do we think of him acting so dumb? A little folly! Folks, don't live your whole life for Christ only to let a "little folly" train wreck your testimony and influence for Christ!! In the "evil day", stand, having done all to stand! Don't give in to "a little folly".
Well, that's all for now, sorry to write so much, but there is so much to pass over and so much to write about. God's Word is so FULL of live changing truth. Read it yourself today. Blessings upon you! Dr. Mike Mutchler, Pastor, Grand View Baptist Church.