It is Wednesday, and I get to preach again tonight so that is exciting for me. I have such dear people to preach to and they bless my heart by showing up and listening. I have been so blessed by God and so has our church. Having done my reading in Psalms this morning, here are a few things I want to share:
1) GOD SPOKE- Psalms 33:6 says: "By the word of the LORD were the heavens made: and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth." (vs. 9) "For he spoke, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast." David reminds us that all of creation was brought into existence by the word of God. In Genesis one we read several times: "God said....... and it was so." All of the stars, the galaxies, the whole universe.... God spoke it into existence! What a mighty God we serve!
2) CONFESS IT- In Psalms 38:18, it says: "For I will declare mine iniquity: I will be sorry for my sin." This verse has two parts in it: Confession- "For I will declare mine iniquity"; and, Repentance- "I will be sorry for my sin". We are better at confession than repentance. God wants us to have both. We are sinners saved by grace, yet God wants us to confess and repent of our sins. This is the path to closeness to God. No great man of God has ever been, that did not have a keen sensitivity to his sin and desire to confess and repent. Great men of God are not always more godly in the since of perfection, but they keep an up to date account with God. They confess and repent of their sin. They are genuinely sorry for their sin, and let God know that they are. God sees it! May God help us to be sorry for our sin and may God see it in us!
3) DO YOU THIRST? Psalms 42:1,2 says: "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. (vs. 2) My souls thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?" David had a thirst for God... do we? How important is our time with God? We need to develop a thirst for God... a strong desire to spend time with Him. We need this.
4) VERY PRESENT- Psalms 46:1 says: "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." Very present means that God is there... before the trouble arrives! He is not just present, but very present. There to act on our behalf, IF we look to Him for help. Look dear friend!
5) PERFECTION OF BEAUTY- Psalms 50:2 says: "Out of Zion, the perfection of beauty, God hath shined." God called Zion (Jerusalem) the perfection of beauty because it was the object of His love. We too are the object of God's love, and we will be presented to Him in His presence as totally perfect through Jesus Christ. What a day that will be!
Let me walk with You today. Go where You lead, speak what You tell me to say, do what You prompt me to do. Let my heart confess and repent of sins brought to light by Your Spirit. Let me thirst for You today.... and everyday! I love you LORD.... help that not to be words.... but heartfelt passion. Amen.
Have a blessed day!