|Exodus is the book with the first law written down. The ten commandments and the instructions for the Israelites to live by. Chapter twenty gives us the ten commandments. In Deuteronomy five, the then commandments are given again, but this time to a whole new group of people since the last ones have died in the wilderness! Let us be listeners to what God's Word says to us. Here are some thoughts:|
1) WILLING HEART- Ex. 25:2 says: "bring me an offering: of every man that giveth it willingly with his heart ye shall take my offering." It sounds like God wants people to give willingly. Isn't that what the New Testament says as well? 2Co 9:7 "Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver." Here again the idea is to give willingly and happily. Giving mimics the heart of God!! We cannot be said to be like God but what we are givers! Not just giving when the offering plate is passed, but living a life of giving!!
2) WILLING RESPONSE- Ex. 35:29 "The children of Israel brought a willing offering unto the LORD, every man and woman, whose heart made them willing.." They were not only willing givers, but willing workers.... and just how does this affect the work of God??
3) TOO MUCH- Ex. 6,7- I've never heard of this problem, but the people had to be stopped from giving, because they gave too much!! What a testimony to the cause of Jesus Christ this would be if this were to happen!! The verses read: "And Moses gave commandment, and they caused it to be proclaimed throughout the camp, saying, Let neither man nor woman make any more work for the offering of the sanctuary. So the people were restrained from bringing. Tor the stuff they had was sufficient for all the work to make it, and too much." Wow!! Praise God!! What a testimony to willing workers and givers!
4) THE OFFERINGS- Leviticus deals with the offerings the first few chapters. Different offerings for different reasons, and then it is told how they are to be offered. Sin offering, meat offering, trespass offering, peace offering, to name a few.
5) THE PRIEST- Chapter 8 through 11 talk about the priest. They are to be taken care of from the offerings of the Israelites. Even so, the New Testament says that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel. Only Gospel preaching, Bible believing preachers have the right to be supported by God's people. All others are taking what they should not touch. Also, chapter 11 tells how God deals with priest (and preachers) who do not do right! Nadab and Abihu, sons of Aaron, were killed for offering strange fire before the Lord. God will deal with any servant who strays. Let us be mindful to stay close to the Lord!
Well, all I have time for today. Have a blessed day in the LORD!! Pastor Mike Mutchler