PAUL'S PRISON EPISTLES
|It's Sunday!! I'm so looking forward to this day. Today, we will honor the Firefighters, Policemen, EMTs, Soldiers, and Veterans. It will be a great day. We have a special gift for them and a meal in their honor. It will be a blessing, and scores of them will be present. Several firetrucks as well. What a day it will be. |
I read Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, and Colossians this morning. Here are a few thoughts that jumped out at me:
1) DO YOU KNOW, OR ARE YOU KNOWN? In Gal. 4:9, Paul writes: "But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God,.." Here he says they have known God, and then backs up and says, or rather are known of God. The implication is that they do not know God very well, but are known by God very well. When we are saved, we are known of God, but the key in the Christian Life is to know God. Do you know God? Do you know His likes and dislikes? Are you aware that our goal in life is to please Him in all that we do? We must know Him to please Him! Oh dear friend, let us all take this to heart and determine to know God better and better each passing year of our lives. To know Him is to love Him!
2) GOOD AND BAD ZEAL- Gal. 4:17- "They zealously affect you, but not well;.." (BAD) vs. 18 "But it is good to be zealously affected always in a good thing,..." (GOOD) God loves zeal, but our zeal must be in good things, and not affected by people who would steer us away from serving God!
3) GREAT THINGS IN STORE FOR US! Yes, God has great things in store for us in Heaven. Heaven is not just sitting around singing God's praises, though we will do that too. But, Heaven is God showing His great love towards us throughout eternity. Notice what Eph. 2:7 says: "That in the ages to come (eternity) he might show (God will show) the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus:" In other words, God will show His kindness to us throughout eternity! Wow!! An infinite God showing us His infinite love and kindness.... that is why Heaven takes eternity!! It will be wonderful to experience one wave after another of God's love and kindness throughout eternity!! Cannot wait!!
4) NOT CHARACTER, BUT HOLY SPIRIT POWER- The answer to being strong in the Christian life is not about the strength of your human character.... that is only what the flesh and soul can produce. But it is about the Spirit. Ephesians 3:16 says: ".... to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;" Here is the key!! It is the strength that the Holy Spirit puts within us that helps us win the battles and past the test, and resist the temptations to act fleshly. Dear brother, focus on the strength that only the Holy Spirit can provide!!
5) RIGHT SEEKING- Phil. 2:21- "For all seek their own, not the things which are Jesus Christ's." How sad. These were first century Christians, and they had this problem. I wonder how prevalent it is today among Christians? Let it not be said of us dear Christian. Let us press forward for Jesus and live only for Him.
Dear Lord, thank you for this wonderful day. Thank you for speaking to my heart this morning. Thank you for showing me what great things you have in store for my eternal future. Allow me to focus on you and pleasing you in this short life here on earth. I love you LORD, and I want to reflect your glory and presence this day. I am humble in Your presence and desire to do your bidding. You are the master, and I am your servant. Lead me and let my life please you today. Love you Lord. Amen. Dr. Mike Mutchler, Pastor