MESSAGES FROM MATTHEW
I'm on my second cup of coffee on this Wednesday morning. I just read the first 20 chapters of Matthew and it took longer than normal because there is so much good stuff to read and think about. I cannot but give just a few thoughts each morning, but they only scratch the surface of truths that jump out at me. Perhaps as we will get through more of them each time we go through each passage every two months.
1) Led of the Spirit to be Tempted- This is what Matt. 4:1 says. We sometime think that when we are "led of the Spirit" that all works out fine, but the reality is that sometime we are tested when in the will of God. If you say you don't understand it then join the crowd, but the truth is we learn more and more by life what it means to "walk by faith". If we could figure out things, we would not need to "grow in faith", but we do!
2) Me First, or Follow Me-- That's a decision to make. In Matt. 8:21 a certain scribe said "Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father." Notice the phrase "me first". Christ's plan was different. In verse 22, Jesus said: "Follow me". If we are first then Christ is following us throughout life for He is "with us always". But, we we follow Jesus, then that means He is the one leading, not ourselves. Let us decide to "follow" instead of "leading" in life when it comes to our relationship with Christ.
3) We Learn best by Labor- Matt. 11:29 "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me". A yoke was not for looks, it was for labor. Jesus is saying if you want to learn about Christ, you need to labor with Him and for Him. Nothing substitutes serving God as a means of learning about God. Bible Study and Prayer are the academics, and truly necessary, but an incomplete education in the things of God unless we serve Christ. "Study to shew thyself approved as workman..." Learn by Labor!!
4) Whose Your Moma? In Matt. 12: 48-50, Jesus said that His brother, and sister, and mother is those who will do the will of my Father which is in heaven. Christ has a special relationship with all who do the will of God. How do we "do" the will of God? By "believing on His Son, Jesus Christ"!!
5) Three Things: Matt. 16: 24 tells us that IF any man will come after Christ, there are three things to do: "deny himself", "take up his cross", and "follow me". These three are necessary to be a loyal follower of Jesus Christ.
6) Ministering- Matt. 20:28- "Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many." It is all about ministering to others, not about being ministered too!! We are elevated in ministry to serve more... not to be served by more!!
Well, I've just give a few brief thoughts in such wonderful chapters. Join me tomorrow as we finish out Matthew and get into twelve chapters of Mark. When you read the Bible every two months, you come down to 15 days to read the New Testament, and so much comes from it that I can only touch on a few thoughts. I hope you are blessed and made to think about these truths. May God's blessings be with you throughout the day!!
Pastor Mike Mutchler
Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.