PART OF LUKE AND JOHN
Today is Sunday! The Sunday before Christmas! What a wonderful day to think about the birth of Jesus Christ. I hope that we will be saying Merry Christmas to people this morning, not Happy Holidays or such foolishness. Today, here are some thoughts to share:
1) Be the Older Brother, but drop the Attitude!! The older brother in Luke 15 was a good guy. In verse 29 he says he served for many years without transgressing his father's commandments. That is the kind of children we would like to raise. The Prodigal son is not one to emulate, he just shows us the scope of God's amazing love for us. But the goal is to be like the older brother without the attitude. We must remember too that the older brother was not accepted because of his deeds, but because he was a son of the father. No matter our level of obedience, that is not what brings us into fellowship with the father, it is because His Son bought us into the family when He died for us, and we accepted Him as our Savior.
2) LORD, increase our Faith- This is said in Luke 17:5, but the context is found in forgiveness. Jesus says to forgive seven times in a day if he repents. Now forgiveness is not forgetfulness as far as humans are concerned. Only God has perfect forgiveness. But if they don't repent, still we are not to harbor bitterness because that only destroys us. If they don't repent, we withdraw fellowship that they may learn not to disobey God... not us. But if they ask forgiveness, we are to forgive freely.... LORD, increase our faith!!
3) WHO THEN CAN BE SAVED? - Luke 18:26 asks this question. The rich young ruler went away sorrowful because of his riches and Christ's instructions. Who can be saved? Anyone who receives Christ with an open heart!! For with the Heart man believeth unto righteousness!! The key was not the riches of the young man or his failure to give his money away, the key was that wealth had his heart!! Jesus must have our hearts for us to be saved. "Give me thine heart" is what Solomon told his son, and what Jesus says to us.
4) FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK- Luke 24:1 "Now upon the first day of the week,..." Sometimes someone will ask why we don't worship on the Sabbath, which is Saturday the seventh day of the week. Well, the answer comes from the example of the early Christians. They worshiped on the day of Christ's Resurrection, and so do we!!
5) GRACE AND TRUTH - John 1:17 says: "For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ." Grace and Truth!! How wonderful. These two things speak of God's Mercy and God's Wisdom and Authority.
6) EQUAL WITH GOD- John 5:18 "... God was his Father, making himself equal with God". Jesus is not inferior to God, He is God!! Vs. 21 Jesus quickeneth (makes alive, or saves) whom he will; vs. 22 The Father committed all judgment unto the Son; vs. 23 "all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father"; vs.26 "For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself"; vs. 27 "hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man." Jesus is God the Son!!
This is all for today, I hope you have a great day! Pastor Mike Mutchler