Here are some truths found in Jeremiah for today:
1) OUTCAST- This is what the world thinks of Jerusalem. In Jer. 30:17 it says; "they called thee an Outcast, saying, This is Zion, whom no man seeketh after." You see they called Jerusalem, Outcast. How sad to be on the wrong side of the city that God loves.
2) EVERLASTING & LOVINGKINDNESS-Jer. 31:3 says: "Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee." God uses very descriptive language to share His heart with us. He loves us! I cannot explain it, but I can revel in it. How wonderful it is to be loved by God. We know God loves us, but do we love Him..... as we should? That's the question for today. How many times can we tell Him today? How many ways can we show God we love Him? This is our assignment for today.
3) WAYMARKS-Jer. 31:23- "Set thee up waymarks" A waymark was something that kept you from being lost. If you went on a journey, you would mark it by recognizing the hills around you, you might pile up some stones as a marker, a boy scout might make a certain cut on a tree that he would recognize, the lumbermen of the early 1900's in the Northwest, would carry some sawdust and let it drop from time to time and so make a path to follow out of the deep woods. When Billy Sunday saw this, he put sawdust down the aisle of his tent meeting and told the people to "hit the sawdust trail" back to God!! It worked! We too need "waymarks" like: prayer, Bible Reading, Church Attendance, Christian Fellowship.... these will always bring us back to God when we are prone to wander off.
4) NOTHING IS TOO HARD- In Jeremiah 32:27, the Bible says: "Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh: is thee any thing too hard for me?" Nothing is too hard for God, nothing!! This is so important for us to realize that God can work the impossible. Dear Lord, thanks for reminding me that nothing is too hard for thee. Thank you for being so powerful and willing to help me in every trial. Thank you LORD!
5) WHERE ARE THEY NOW? Jer. 37:19 says: "Where are now your prophets which prophesied unto you, saying, The king of Babylon shall not come against you, nor against this land?" After all of the ideas have been promoted that go contrary to God's Word and the ideals of Christianity; and then they crash and burn.... how come we don't hear a retraction? Why is it that they sneak away quietly in the dark? Spock's ideas of raising kids failed.... who reported it? Who looked at a generation of juvenile delinquents and said, it was done wrong? Well, the same in Jeremiah's day!! They pronounced that they would not go into captivity and now that they are going... the false prophets are not to be found.
Blessings on you my friend! Pastor Mike Mutchler