Today is Thursday. I so enjoyed the services last night, the singing, the testimony, the prayer time, and the message I was able to preached. It blessed my heart if no one elses heart. Today, I read in Proverbs and here are a few thoughts:
1) HELP OTHERS Prov. 3:27 says: "Withhold not good from them to whom it is due, when it is in the power of thine hand to do it." We need to help others and especially those to who are worthy of help. We cannot be good Christians and not be helping people all of the time. God called us to minister to people and so we must be about our Father's business. So many around us need a little encouragement and help along the way. It's a good way to spend ones life!
2) AVOID DISCORD Prov. 6:12-19. Verse 12 says a naughty person... soweth discord (vs.14). We may think that it is good for someone to "challenge" authority, but not God. God wants us to submit to all authority. Discord is a cord not hit in harmony! Not going along with the direction leadership is going. As a pastor, I've seen that first hand over the years and the end is not good for that person. Verses 16 through 19 tell us that there are seven things that God hates, and the last one: "and he that soweth discord among brethren." All of us have questions and concerns, but take them to the authority and get answers. Leaders have reasons and answers for why and how they do things.
3) WISDOM PERSONIFIED Yes, all of chapter 8 of Proverbs is wisdom talking about herself. (and yes, wisdom is viewed as a lady) **Interesting!! In Proverbs, we see the wicked woman and the virtuous woman, and now wisdom personified as a woman. Both the best and the worst.... can be a woman. Ladies, decide you will be among the best!
4) LOVE COVERS SIN Prov. 10:12 says: "love covereth all sins". That same type of phrasing is found in the New Testament as well, but what does it mean? Well, it doesn't mean that if you love your sins are not found out, but it means that if you are a loving person, that people will "overlook" your faults to a point. It's the uncaring soul that has all of their sins viewed with disdain. Love others, and they will be very patient with you as well.
5) IT'S THE COMPANY YOU KEEP! Prov. 13:20 says: "He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed." The company you keep is the person you become, so..... watch yourself!! This one principle can help or hurt a person as much as any of the great Biblical principles. This is key!
6) WORKS = THOUGHTS! Prov. 16:3 "Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established." Do the right things, and you will think the right things!! We all know that our thougths determine our actions, but what we fail to realize is that our Actions will determine our Thoughts!! Keep doing right and you will keep thinking right!
7) EVEN A CHILD Prov. 20:11 says: "Even a child is known by his doings" We can only judge others based upon our observations of their actions. That is true of a child and true of an adult. IF we would have others think well of us, we had best be doing that which is right and true, godly and helpful!
I hope you have a blessed day today. May God guide you in all of your ways.
Pastor Mike Mutchler