EXODUS ON JULY 4TH
I have not written for a few days, so here are some thoughts on this fine 4th of July. Thank God for freedom and independence.
It is interesting that as I read Exodus 10 through 30, about the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt, that today is July 4th, that we celebrate as the birth of our freedom as a nation. Also, it reminds me that 24 years ago, I entered Oregon on my way to the Portland area to start Grand View Baptist Church. We spent the night in Pendleton on July 4th, 1984. That next day, we pulled into Portland. Wow... God has done so much since that day!!
This morning as I read it just seemed like so much just jumped out at me. God was showing me so much that there is no way I can write about half of it, but here are a few thoughts:
1) WEALTH FOR A PURPOSE- Exodus 11:2 says: "let every man borrow of his neighbour, and every woman of her neighbour, jewels of silver, and jewels of gold." The same is said in Exodus 3:21,22 and Exodus 12:35,36. They spoiled the Egyptians of these things the Bible records.... but why?? Did they need wealth in the wilderness where no stores were? No! Did that need wealth for food and clothing? No, God provided the food and water, and their clothes never wore out! Did they need it to make their idols? Well, they did do that, but certainly that was not the purpose, and everything put to the calves of gold were destroyed and thrown in the river. They were to use the treasures of the Egyptians to build the beauty of the Tabernacle.... a house for God!! We too have our wealth for a purpose... if we chose to spend it unwisely, it too will be destroyed; but if we use it for God's glory... it will be blessed by God!!
2) THE SONG OF MOSES- I never understood it until this morning as I was reading and thinking about the verse found in Exodus 15:1 "Then sang Moses and the children of Israel this song unto the Lord..." I also knew in Revelation 15:3 it says that "And they sing the song of Moses", but I never understood why in Revelation they were singing the song of Moses until today!! In Exodus, Moses sang this song because God had delivered them by drowning the army of Pharaoh in the waters of the Red Sea; and, in Revelation 15, they sang this song because chapter 14 ends with Jesus destroying the opposition in the battle of Armageddon. In each instance it was a song of victory and praise to God for His deliverance!! We too have been delivered from the penalty of sin, and one day will be from the presence of sin, so..... we too should have a "song of Moses" in our hearts each day!! Sing unto the LORD!!
3) AARON AND HUR- In Exodus 17:12, they held up the hands of Moses, and because of that Joshua was able to win the battle with the Amalekites. Never underestimate the power of those who hold up our hands!! As a pastor, I would not be in the ministry, without the godly men and women who hold up my hands as I labor for the Lord. They pray for me, encourage me, thank me, take care of me, listen to me, follow me as I follow Christ... they are a blessing and I could never do it without them!! Bless you!!
4) INTERESTING!- In Exodus 17 16 it reads: "...the LORD will have war with Amalek from generation to generation." At first I thought, you are kidding! Having war with Amalek every generation, but then I though how true!! You see, Amalek was a people who attacked God's people with no provocation out of the blue so to speak, and all of the time, God's people have Amalek attacking them for nothing else than living for Jesus Christ. We can expect Amalek to battle with us, but we can also rest assured that "the LORD will have war with Amalek"! God will fight our battles for us!!
5) NO GIFTS- In Exodus 23:8 it says of the leaders (judges) of Israel: "thou shalt take no gift: for the gift blindeth the wise, and perverteth the words of the righteous." This is why in our government, we demand that every gift be declared if above a dollar amount... because the BIBLE told us to "take no gift"!
Well, have a great forth of July!! Praise God for our nation's freedoms and our soul's freedom!! Pastor Mike Mutchler