Wednesday, March 21, 2012

PLAY THE MEN

Today is March 21st, and it is snowing outside.  Wow!  When will spring ever get here?  Anyway, I'm looking in II Samuel today, and I want to speak on the subject of:  Play the Men.  In II Samuel 10:11,12, it reads:  "And he said, If the Syrians be too strong for me, then thou shalt help me:   but if the children of Ammon be too strong for thee, then I will come and help thee.  Be of good courage, and let us play the men for our people, and for the cities of our God:  and the LORD do that which seemeth him good."  Joab divided up David's army into two bands.  One he oversaw, and the other, his brother Abishai was given the leadership over.  Then the instructions to help each other fight the battle against the two armies coming against them, the Ammonites and the Syrians.  They were a mighty group and it all started when David sought to show kindness to the new king of Ammon because the dad had died and the son is now reigning, but the son humiliated the servants sent by David and insulted the Israelites, so battle was proclaimed.  Now against superior forces, Joab tells Abishai and the men that are with both of them:  "play the men".  This literally means to "act like a man".  It implies everything strong and decent about a man protecting his family and serving his God.  It means to be your best to the last breath!  Give it your all.  Give it your best!  Lay your life on the line if need be, but do it in a manly way.  If you die, die going forward!  Wow!  I love this phrase, for it speaks to everything in me as a man.  It calls me to my highest service.  It asks me to give the last drop of measure.  It makes me step up to the man I am supposed to be.  Play the men!  For all of the men out there today, let us continue to "play the men" for our families and our God.

Blessings on you!  Pastor Mike Mutchler

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Counter
Free Counter