Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Proverbs and Ecclesiastes

I'm on my second cup of coffee and I've read my twenty chapters, so now let me give a few thoughts about it.  Proverbs and Ecclesiastes were both written by Solomon.  In Proverbs, he tells us that it is Solomon who writes these proverbs; in Ecclesiastes, he goes by the Preacher.  The Preacher gives us Ecclesiastes, he is Solomon the King of Israel.  Notice some thoughts:

1) Strength for the Day-Prov. 24:10-"If thou faint in the day of adversity, thy strength is small".  Strength is only needed for stress filled days.  Days of adverstity.  Without the stress and adversities, no strength is needed.  We never know our strength until we come to our trials.  Be strong in the Lord and in the power of HIS might!!

2) Apples of gold in pictures of silver.--That how a word "fitly" spoken is described.  You ever had someone say something that so blessed you that just the phrase made a great difference?  I have, several time, and they were like apples of gold in pictures of silver.  Maybe you can be the one to say such words to another.  I remember a lady in our church who was told she had cancer.  The deacons and I met together, annointed her with oil and prayed over her.  Afterwards, I felt impressed and I looked at her and said, "I'm not a prophet, but I believe it is going to be ok."  "You are going to be just fine".  Afterwards the news went from bad to worse, and for several years she took treatments off and on and went up and down.  Today... the doctors say she is cancer free!!  She told me often that she held to the words I said and would say to herself "Pastor said I'm going to be ok."  This was apples of gold in pictures of silver. 

3) Eccl. 1:2- Vanities of Vanities-  Five times in this two line verse, the word "vanity" is used.  Solomon had experienced everything, and yet it all turned out to be "vanity".  Only God gives joy and purpose, not work, not wisdom, not wealth, not women, not anything!!

4) Time & Chance; This or That-- Eccl. 9:11 tells us that time and chance has as much to do with circumstances than being swift, strong, wise, understanding, skill, riches, etc..  and Eccl. 11:6 tells us that we don't know what is blessed and prosper, perhaps "this of that".  

Well, time gets away.  I could type on and on and only cover brief bits of verses, but tomorrow is another day.  God bless!  Pastor Mike Mutchler



You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Counter
Free Counter