Friday, April 23, 2010

I & II CORINTHIANS

It is Friday morning, and I am looking at blue skies with just a few pretty clouds in the sky.  I have my coffee cup beside me with good coffee friends from Florida gave to us.  I marked up my Bible a lot this morning, and I have too much to share for the time allotted; but here are a few thoughts for today:

1) PAUL'S ATTITUDE TOWARDS HIS GOD CALLED PREACHING- I Cor. 9:16 says:  "For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of:  for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!"  and verse 17 says:  "For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward:.."   God called Paul to preach and because of that, necessity was laid upon him.  (He had to do what God said do!)  But he also says that IF he does it willingly (cheerfully, obediently, gladly) then he has a reward waiting for him.  Now, I feel the same way.  I so enjoy preaching God's Word, but I do this willingly knowing that God called me and that God will reward me IF I am faithful and willingly preach His Word without compromise, but with compassion.

2) WE ARE IN CONTROL OF OUR OWN SPIRIT-I Cor. 14:32 says:  "And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets."  What this means is that God uses us as we yield to Him, but He doesn't possess us to control us like puppets.  When people say:  "God took over and I was not in control."  This runs against exactly what this verse is saying.  Now, I know we can point to Scriptural examples in the Old Testament when God did take control of a person.  (Saul's prophesying), but God principle is clear... He puts us in control so that we much yield to Him voluntarily and even then lets us keep control of our own spirit.

3) PAUL'S TROUBLES- You think we have troubles.... think again!  Paul was plagued with troubles.  Here are a few verses:  2 Corinthians 1:8-10  "For we would not, brethren, have you ignorant of our trouble which came to us in Asia, that we were pressed out of measure, above strength, insomuch that we despaired even of life: But we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves, but in God which raiseth the dead:  10  Who delivered us from so great a death, and doth deliver: in whom we trust that he will yet deliver us;"
2 Corinthians 4:8-10  "We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair;  9  Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;  10  Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body."
 2 Corinthians 7:5-6  "For, when we were come into Macedonia, our flesh had no rest, but we were troubled on every side; without were fightings, within were fears.  Nevertheless God, that comforteth those that are cast down, comforted us by the coming of Titus;"   He had troubles... much more than we do, but he laid them at the feet of Jesus and considered himself a dead man (I die daily), so that whatever good happened, was much more than he expected or deserved.  Let us follow the same example!

Dear Lord, I love you today.  I'm so excited about your plan for my life today.  I have a few details mapped out, but feel free to change them any way you desire.  You are in control.  Lord, the problems I face are larger than I can handle, so I put them on Your capable shoulders.  I cast them freely and without holding on to them.  My personal life seems so blessed, and yet the needs of those all around me are overwhelming.  I have no answers for such great needs.... but I have You!  Dear God in heaven, work in the lives of the dear people I love.  Please open Thou the windows of Heaven and pour out a blessing upon Thy dear Church.  Meet all of the financial needs and let us go forward in faith and confidence.  I yield myself afresh to You dear Lord, fill me with Thy Holy Spirit, and let me rejoice in Thee.  I praise Your Holy Name!  Thank you Lord Jesus.  Amen.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Counter
Free Counter